The midsection of the United States, including the greater St Louis area, is prone to powerful storms, particularly in the spring and summer seasons. These meteorological events include tornadoes, derechos, thunderstorms, and hail. They can severely damage your property, especially the roof of your residence. If your roof has been damaged or if you need an evaluation of your roof’s present condition, then it may be a good idea to look for quality roofing contractors St Louis MO.
Mid Continent Storms That Can Damage Your Roof
The following storms types can occur in Missouri, especially in the spring and summer months:
- Severe Thunderstorms. Severe thunderstorms occur with regularity in the greater St. Louis metro area. They can carry strong winds and heavy rains, which can affect roof integrity.
- Hailstorms. Some thunderstorms, particularly those associated with supercells, can carry hail. These ice pellets and stones can impact your roof with tremendous velocity and can cause severe damage.
- Derechos. Straight-line winds from a line of fast-moving storms are termed derechos, and they can really wreak damage to your roof! Be especially alert for them.
- Tornadoes. Twisters dip down from supercell thunderstorms and are particularly common in the spring when cool Canadian air meets up with warm, moist Gulf air in the midcontinent. Needless to say, your roof can be severely damaged by a tornado.
- Heavy Snowstorms. Although more common in the colder months, heavy snowstorms can hit St. Louis in the early spring as well. The weight of thick, wet snow can weaken or damage your roof.
What To Look For In a Roofing Contractor
First and foremost, you want to find a roofer that has been in business for many decades in the St. Louis area. In addition, they should be able to provide you with a list of satisfied customers and have no red flags with the Better Business Bureau. They must be licensed and bonded, or else they can never walk on your roof.